Top 10 Safety Tips for Visiting Egypt
Whether you’re visiting Egypt or any other country in the world, it’s important to take the right safety precautions.
In July 2017, I visited Cairo for the first time. It was an amazing experience. I highly recommend it as long as you understand the risks. Here is a segment from the safety warning at the time:
“The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens to consider the risks of travel to Egypt due to threats from terrorist and violent political opposition groups. This replaces the Travel Warning issued on December 23, 2016. A number of terrorist groups, including ISIS, have committed multiple deadly attacks in Egypt, targeting government officials and security forces, public venues, tourist sites, civil aviation and other modes of public transportation, and a diplomatic facility. Terrorists continue to threaten Egypt’s religious minorities and have attacked sites and people associated with the Egyptian Coptic Church.
Terrorist attacks can occur anywhere in the country, including major metropolitan areas. In early May, ISIS media threatened that places associated with Westerners, Christians, the Egyptian military or police, and Egyptian government facilities could be struck at any time.”
This warning prompted me to take safety more seriously. After experiencing Cairo firsthand, I have compiled the following list of safety tips in no particular order:
- Always travel with a guide
- Wear basic and modest clothing
- Avoid wearing name-brand clothing and gear
- Don’t venture outside major cities
- Always stay alert and observant
- Register with US travel system
- Have number of emergency contacts and US consulate
- Register yourself with the consulate, letting them know when and where you’ll be traveling
- Avoid going out after dark
- Get drivers from your hotel, a reputable tourist company, or Careem
Keep in mind this is just a small list from my own experience. I highly encourage you to do more research before going. No matter what, make sure to have fun and take in everything Egypt has to offer! It is an amazing country.